Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sight seeing....

Okay, so it's summertime and I'm antsy and want to get away, but it's not a particularly good time with school and economic conditions. Day trips to get away and sight see help to break the monotony. Today we were taking Callie to camp again, so we decided to throw in a little road trip to Lake Wales. A couple of years ago we attempted going to Bok Tower Gardens and Sanctuary, but it was late in the day, so we passed up on it. Today was the day. It was great weather and off we went. Mr. Edward Bok purchased the land which is the highest point in Florida and wanted to preserve it, he also had a winter home here. Fredrick Olmstead, Jr. designed the gardens. I love walking although my travel buddies (husband and daughter) weren't so thrilled with the idea walking, but they did. The gardens were lovely, and we found that we have several of the endangered plants in our yard at home! The Carillon (the singing tower) played music, it is so refreshing to hear the bells and familiar tunes. The views of the town were nice, I'm so glad there are still orange groves since many in the state have fallen prey to development. There were many butterflies and I captured a few in pictures. We left and headed to Spook Hill, it is one of those oddities of must do's....simple but fun, we did cross the white line and the car did roll back each time when in neutral! However, we were in fact rolling back uphill not downhill!!!
Loving old Florida and retro we were to have lunch at Chalet Suzanne. Now for years whenever we have passed the signs, I've always wanted to stop and eat there. Well this time we made it there, but the times changed and we missed brunch by 20 minutes! The buildings are very small and low ceilings, and there is an old musty smell (they have been taking in guests for over 70 years), though it remains very quaint. I'll have to go back!

Traveling along we came upon this sign for a motel....so OLD FLORIDA!!!! I love it! I've probably taken pictures of this very sign many times before...

With the daughter safely at camp we head home. There were a few clouds and sprinklings of rain, and enjoying the peaceful scenery including cows or steer (beef, it's whats for dinner!). Now home, it's back to reality and mundane tasks....I can't wait for the next Road Trip!

No comments: