![]() |
| Make a Smilebox scrapbook |
I want to know my candidate, what they stand for, their convictions, their principles,their record and if they live the way they speak. Many years ago I watched CSPAN I think it was, and there was a Senator from Arizona that they were following for the day. He was a busy man and at home there was much activity taking place for setting up for a birthday party. The same chaos that was at that house, has occurred in my house. I was amazed by the amount of knowledge that this man had, and in how many directions he could go all at the same time. I later learned of his days as a prisoner of war. This touched me, since one of my classmates' dad had been a POW and it was joyful when he was finally released (I often wonder how that family is - as they moved away). As the years have passed I continued to follow Senator John McCain, not always agreeing with his stand on things, but admired his tenacity for crossing the isle and showing his human side of frustration with politics, which I think we can all relate to with this "bailout fiasco". So, when Senator McCain ran for President, I paid close attention to who was running and what the issues are and then came Sarah! Out of the blue Senator McCain chose her for his VP running mate. Sarah's from Alaska,I've been to Alaska, I've been to Wasilla (the restart point for the iditarod races) and Juneau. She worked her way to being Governor, she is married with children, she is educated, attends church; she is imperfect,she takes a stand and follows through, she is fun, and has issues ... she is like me and my friends, oh yes, she buys school supplies at Walmart, her income - middle class - like the rest of us! Then she spoke! She lit up the interest in those sitting on the political sidelines. I really like her. My friends like her. I'm dismayed that the majority of the news media is so biased, I'm not sure why they are, they should be fair but the interview with Charlie Gibson....it showed his true colors, and they weren't pretty. I was surprised he didn't break the arms on the chair he was sitting in! Then it was disclosed that Sarah Palin would being coming to my neighborhood! I worked and couldn't get tickets, by God Bless my friend, Judi, was able to get me a ticket. A co-worker, Betsy, was kind enough to switch days with me...and off we went.
We stood in line for 1 1/2 hours, it was hot and we were sweaty. The line was long and very long after us. There were all kinds of pins, shirts, etc. for sale. We got in and took our seats, and listen to other politicians including the Governor of Florida. And then it happened, the lights dimmed and out she came waving and smiling. Her speech was just as dynamic as it is on television. She captured the hearts and attention of everyone in the room. Aside from a few nasty hecklers that were escorted out, it was perfect. She stated points, facts, and what McCain-Palin hope to accomplish if elected. She even went down and signed autographs!!! I enjoyed her speech. It gives me much food for thought as I make my way to the voting booth.

No comments:
Post a Comment